- Large donor money has an outsized influence in politics
- The Supreme Court ruled that money is speech & corporations are people.
- The very politicians who know how to win elections involving large donors, are the ones empowered to vote for a change. Any change to this system could cost them their jobs.
- Don’t prevent campaign contributions – The Supreme Court has ruled against this at least twice. Go after the rewards!
- Any person (business) who donates to a campaign for an office for which they can not vote, or uses money to effect a campaign, will be classified as a political science corporation. (psiCorp)
- In order to eliminate the possibility of corruption, Congress and the Executive branch may not provide any government monies to these corporations through loans, gifts, contracts, tax deductions or other means.
- This will come into effect on a district by district basis immediately after the current incumbent is no longer in that specific office.
- Politicians may use campaign funds gathered under the auspice of this legislation to run for their current or other federal offices.
How it will help:
While it will take a few years for the money to completely leave the system, all politicians initially elected after the implementation of this bill will be free of the influences of those who can’t vote for them. This should help refocus them on our issues rather than the issues of their large donors.
Why it will pass:
- It won’t impact a politician currently in office, just the person who unseats them.
- It gives the incumbent the ability to build a war chest with which to run for the President. This gives them an advantage which many of the leaders would like.
- It’s popular politics.
As always, I would love to hear your comments on these ideas or others you might have. Additionally, if you provide us your contact information via signing up and/or logging in, we would love to be able to reach out you to either take part in policy discussions or to join the team. My goal isn’t to push a specific policy solution, but to solve a problem. If you have a better solution which can be implemented and works, I would love to be wrong and use your approach.